EASTERN CONNECTICUT STATE UNIVERSITY
PROCEDURES FOR INTERIM ADMINISTRATIVE APPOINTMENTS
Revised September 29, 2000
The following procedure is to be used in the selection of in-house interim administrative appointees and is intended to provide reasonable opportunity for the presentation of nominations and individual candidacies prior to such appointments. When interim appointments are made from outside, standard University search procedures will be used.
- When a decision is made to fill an administrative position at the level of Dean or above on an interim basis, the President or designee shall announce such action to the campus community via Email or hard copy. Such notice shall include a brief summary of the job description along with a call for nominations or expressions of individual interest.
- Such notice shall provide no less than ten calendar days for the submission of nominations or expressions of interest and shall indicate a projected effective date for the appointment.
- By the date specified, candidates shall submit a letter of interest indicating the fitness of the candidate for the position as well as a resume. In case of nominations, candidates shall have five days to respond to a communication of acknowledgment of the nomination.
- The President or designee shall consult the President of the University Senate, two appropriate administrative faculty members, along with two faculty members and two department heads from the Schools of Arts and Sciences and the School of Education and Professional Studies, respectively when the position is that of a vice president or academic associate vice president. The purpose of this consultation is to obtain comments concerning those being seriously considered for the interim appointment.
- The president or designee shall consult with at least three faculty members and two department heads within the appropriate school if the position is that of an academic dean for the same purpose contained in #1 above.
- The president or designee shall consult with two appropriate administrative faculty members, along with two appropriate faculty members for positions that are non-academic in nature for the same purpose contained in #1 above.
- Following the appropriate consultation as provided above, the President or designee shall announce the interim appointment.
Notwithstanding the above procedure, the University President may make an emergency interim appointment for a period not to exceed 45 days in the event circumstances require the immediate filling of a vacant position. Upon the announcement of such emergency appointment, the interim review process as cited above shall immediately commence.
Go to the ECSU-AAUP HomePage.
Please Send Comments and Questions to the ECSU-AAUP Webmaster:
This page is subject to the ECSU-AAUP Disclaimer.